Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Contrast, Harmony and Balance


As we were discussing Contrast, Harmony and Balance in class, I had multiple pictures come to mind. I loved the pictures we viewed in class and the elements discussed within them. I chose this picture because of the intriguing elements within it, this pictures has it all. The man in the picture is my fiancé Greg and it was taken in Gustavus, Alaska last month.
We were out adventuring and came across this abandoned dock with a breathtaking view. This picture is captivating to me and it exhibits the elements we discussed in class. I love the contrast in the picture. Starting off with size, there is such a large difference between the size of Greg and the dock as a whole. As I look at the enormity of the dock compared to him, it appears the depth of the dock may consume him. There is contrast due to his position at the front of the dock, it appears as it could go on forever after him. I love the differing textures with in this picture. There is stillness in the water because it is landlocked and doesn’t get any waves from the open ocean. If you look closely you can see the details of the weathered wood of the posts and the dock itself. I love my fiancĂ© but it does appear that his presence on the dock isn’t right and is a contrast in and of itself. As I look at the picture it feels almost as though he is interrupting the stillness and ambience there.
There are so many areas of balance within this picture because of the symmetry of the lines within it. I love the wood posts of the dock and how they make your eyes automatically go backwards. When I look at the dramatic lines I feel peace because of their symmetry. My eyes quickly go to the reflection of the trees in the water and the perfect symmetry present there.
There is a great sense of tranquility at this spot and I believe it is evident in this picture because of the harmony that is present. The colors in this picture exemplify the true Alaskan beauty. The almost teal water color, worn down wood and tall green trees are all breathtaking and relieving. The different color contrasts seem natural and go together. There is harmony in nature that I believe man cannot recreate it. I felt that harmony in this spot and continue to as I look at this picture. The shapes and lines are sharp and dramatic but there is harmony in the way the repeat throughout the frame.
            To add a bit of context to this picture, I would like to add that this picture was taken the day after Greg proposed to me. This picture is so special to me because of the timing of it. I love the beautiful surroundings and I love Greg because he has truly made my life more beautiful.

This picture also possesses a lot of Gesalt principles. The law of similarity is evident with the similar wood and poles on the dock. The law of continuity is evident as your eyes are drawn to the back of the picture. I believe each one of the principles in a way are evident there is some way but these two are most dominant in my eyes in this picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment